Tuesday, October 17, 2006

MY TWO DILEMMAS

OK, so my husband and I have been invited to Melbourne for Derby Day by his company. Now I have always wanted to do the “Spring Racing” thing, you know frock up and wear the big hat, matching shoes and handbag (I love things that match!) Therefore I was so excited when my hubby said we were going. At last, my first Spring Racing Soiree!! In the shopping capital of Australia!!!

The thing is we are going for two nights. TWO NIGHTS!! What about the kids???? I haven’t been away from them for that long ever! I like to be able to see what they are doing all the time. I know it’s crazy! I think it is because I’m scared of what they might do when I’m not there. For example, recently they were asked to go over a friends place for a play after school so before I left them I gave them the rundown - 1) Remember your manners 2) Be kind 3) Take off your shoes 4) Look after other peoples things etc. The one I forgot was “Don’t put your friends Mum’s undies on”. My daughter 6 found a pair of the Mums G-String that had blown off the line, she then gave them to my son 8 who put them on (over his shorts, thank God!). The Mum didn’t fill me in on the story, it was the muffled laughter I could hear from the back seat on the way home in the car that gave them away.

My husband and I had a great laugh about it but I was a little embarrassed and wondered what the Mum thought of me. Which I guess says more about me than my two angels who in there own words were “just having fun”. So I am now trying to decide which trusted friend or family member can I leave my babies with who can deal with any unexpected incident without holding it against them or me!!

My second dilemma and maybe even more importantly is – do I wear the fascinator with the halter neck dress or the hat with elegant dress??
Your comments would be appreciated!

~Sam
©The Family Room 2006

5 comments:

thefamilyroom said...

Sam,

I know that there are people in your life who would be more then happy to have your kids! You just need to make sure it's people who know how to laugh and no sweat the small stuff!!!

And personally, I would def. go with the hat and elegant dress :)

~cj
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Sam firstly we'll have your kids cause we love them and think they're amazing. And regarding the dress go for the hat and elegant dress who knows when you'll have this opportunity again - the hat, the dress, the handbag, the shoes and the glass of champers....what a look, what a day. Have fun!
Susan

Anonymous said...

Make sure you take a few pictures to share with those of us who still have yet to experience the races!!!

Anonymous said...

Sam,

You are hilarious! I have experienced similar levels of embarrassment with my daughter and someone else's feminie hygeine products. Life would be boring without these moments. Keep writing....i loved the read.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sam here. I decided to go with the hat, apparently the fascinator is "so last year"! Anyway I will post some photos for you to check out the fashions, I mean who cares about the actual races?

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics