Tuesday, October 03, 2006

ZERO TOLERANCE

Okay girls do I have a story for you today.

I've been extremely interested in net lingo (internet language) as it seems to be a language all to itself. I recently heard Dr. Phil talking about this language which made me realize that my knowledge was limited in this area. I know the regulars like LOL (laugh out loud) and ta-ta-4-N (ta ta for now) and 4Eva (forever), BF (boyfriend), BFF (best friend forever), SO (significant other) and that's about it for me. My limited knowledge has probably already astounded some of you.

Dr. Phil started me thinking about this and then I was again challenged when I read something recently that included POS which to my surprise means Parents over Shoulder. Now I don't need to be hit over the head to know that certain things are calling my attention and require a little more research as this did. I got online and was absolutely shocked at the language that's out there.

I am in TOTAL agreement with Dr. Phil, there should be a ZERO TOLERANCE policy in our homes when it comes to communication. This 'net lingo' ostracizes parents from children and allows our children/teens/young adults to enter into an unsafe world away from our protection. We have no idea who they are communicating with and what they are communicating about.

I encourage you to keep your computers in an open area in your home, limit access
time and check your history file regularly. Keep your children and teens safe. As much as they want privacy on the computer it must be used like the old ‘party line’ telephones. Zero Tolerance when it comes to ‘net lingo’.

I have prepared a little sample for you to interpret. Try your skills and see how you go with our ‘net lingo’:

Hey how RU? RU MorF? RU SorG? LMIRL. WYCM. AEAP. Got2 go P911. PIR.


Interpretation:

Hey how are you? Are you Male or Female? Are you Straight or Gay? Let's meet in real life. Will you call me. As early as possible. Got to go, parent alert. Parent's in room.

I’m sure most of you are shocked by what you’ve just read – so was I. I knew this language was out there but to the extent that it is I couldn’t believe. You could learn a totally new language through ‘net lingo’......very scary.

For more information and to educate yourself on this language visit www.netlingo.com. You’ll be surprised. Don’t think your children are to young or to old to check this out. Keep yourself informed and ahead of the game.

I hope this has been helpful.

Susan xoxo
©The Family Room 2006

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this article. It has made me realize how much we need to keep a close eye on our children. I had no idea that the net lingo included so much. I can't thank you enough for bringing this to my attention. I'm sure, through this, you have just saved a child from something very wrong.
Keep up the GREAT job. I love your site.

Anonymous said...

Well done for sharing this. I'm enlightened.

thefamilyroom said...

As a young adult who was brought up in a home where there were "rules" for the computer I cannont recommend this enough to parents! I know friends who got themselves into a lot of trouble on the internet b/c their parents didn't have the same rules as me.

Anonymous said...

I read this article with great interest. I too have young children who are
beginning to explore the world of internet communication and I am DEFINITELY
going to institute a zero tolerance policy in our household! Thanks for the
update on such an important issue!
KG

thefamilyroom said...

T.S. Plow

b/c = because
haha there's some more internet lingo...that or short hand for college notes :)

~cj

Anonymous said...

interesting how even in our communication about this we have shared in the 'lingo'. goes to show you how used to it we've become.
sjs

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics