Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Carols by Candlelight

To my family I am known as a Christmas junkie. As much as they enjoy Christmas carols, August is not quite the month they had planned to start listening to them. So I must employ restrain and wait with baited breath until I can belt out ‘O Holy Night’ along with Celine or jazz it up with Tony Bennett’s ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’.

I just love the season of family, festivities and food. Around the month of December I am a diehard decorator, cook and gift wrapper. Martha Stewart eat your heart out! But I have to confess my most favourite moment of the Christmas season, other than the ceremonial gift giving with a million family members jammed into my parents lounge room, is the tradition of heading down to the local oval or church where carols by candlelight is held.

Christmas would not be Christmas without this fun and meaningful production that gathers so many to remember the true spirit of Christmas.

Last Sunday night we went to our local oval near my daughter’s school to light our candles (which is a blog in itself...remember to cut the holes for the candle in the cups before you leave the house! Using a set of keys to hack a circle-ish shape into the base should only be left up to the likes of McGyver!) and sing along with neighbours, school friends and family.

To experience this each year constantly takes me back to the days of my youth when the awe, the reverence, the gift of Christmas was instilled into my young heart. I am so grateful to my busy parents who took the time out to sit for hours with us on a rug surrounded by mosquitoes for our sakes.

There are still many places peppered all around Sydney that will be hosting Carols by Candlelight before the big day, so grab the precious people in your world and the picnic rug and enjoy. Don’t forget to take your camera...documenting the dreamer in your child by candlelight as they stumble over the lyrics of O Little Town of Bethlehem is priceless.

Write and share your Christmas moments…we always love hearing from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michaela,

We were at the same carols. It was really nice to sit, relax and enjoy company. I was amazed at how many people we were able to catch up with - it feels like my year is complete now and no one has missed out. It was a great night enjoyed by both young and old.
Simone

thefamilyroom said...

I love traditions where the memories just keep getting bigger and bigger each year.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics