Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Pantry Make-Over

When the team from the family Room arrived to give my pantry a makeover, I was a little cynical. You see, I had lived with my messy pantry for the past three years. It didn’t bother me that much. My pantry, like my toenails got little attention. And believe it or not, I did have a system: chuck it all in and hope you can find it the next day.

Armed with black t-shirts, pink rubber gloves and a little bottle of disinfectant, the girls from thefamilyroom set to work clearing the old, to make way for the new. In the process, a few pantry moths and weavels were evicted from their homes.

To my disbelief, and disgust, I had things growing in my pantry. Cobwebs, mould, spiders and weavels, mixed with the occasional rat pooh pellet. I even had herbs dating back to 1986 and an old ice-cream bucket still containing the original spoons.

Each time the girls made a gruesome discovery in my pantry, they’d shriek in horror, capturing each horrible and at times, embarrassing moment on video (to be played at the next familyroom LIVE event).

We are not a dirty family, in fact, we live in a nice home and on the surface everything looks fine – except for those hidden places, accommodating that accumulated mess.

I guess the reason for my cluttered, out of date, moth ridden pantry was simple: it was a big job and perhaps too overwhelming. Besides, I made sure the doors were closed, when anyone came to visit.

Today, the doors are open for all to see.
My pantry is clean, tidy, minimalist, ordered and everything is in its place.

Personally, I feel more in control of my life. My pantry won’t solve world poverty, but it will help to bring some order and peace in my sometimes chaotic world. As of today, I have also overhauled my fridge, laundry and spare room. I feel great!

My advice to you: If you feel overwhelmed and ‘out of control’ – check your panty. It might just need a make-over.


By Nicky Partridge
Although I’m too embarrassed to admit that it’s me!


Note: You can see Nicky’s pantry make-over on the big screens at the next Family Room Live Event.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately we don't have a before shot of this pantry.....it was crying out to us!! I think we might have some 'in the process' shots that we can post and they will give an indication of what things were like. It's amazing how something as simple as a pantry make-over can bring harmony to your home. Being organised allows you to be 'on top or ahead of the game' it helps everyone in the home.
We videoed everything and will show it at our next familyroom LIVE event so get ready to enjoy.
A HUGE thanks to Nicki for letting us into her pantry....it's not an easy thing to do so thank you from all of us, we had fun and the reward is knowing that your family is functioning better.
Susan

Anonymous said...

HELP! How do i get my pantry to look like that?
Tanya

Anonymous said...

Tanya,
Hey there I just happen to be online and saw your question.
I think the first thing is pull everything out and give it a well deserved clean (get into every corner and really clean it out - vacuum if necessary).

Create sections/departments - oils, spices, dried goods, baking, canned goods, snacks, etc.

Baskets - these are great because you can put everything in them and simply pull the basket out when you need something (a place for everything and everything in its place).

Arrangement - arrange things according to what will work for your family (ie: cereals, etc., where young children can reach, untouchables out of reach).

Consolidate products - if you have more than one (eg: 2 bottles of vinegar) then combine the two and throw out the 2nd bottle.

Chalk board - if possible put a chalk board inside, this works as your ongoing grocery list so you always know what's needed!

I think that's enough to get your started now, there is so much more to tell you, perhaps we will post a 'how to' for you and others.

Thanks for asking and let us know how your clean up goes.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I too am pantry makeover convert. Ia gree Nicki, having this space organised has a ripple effect through the rest of the household. My husband commented the other day that it is so much esier to function in our kitchen now that things are in order! For you girls who dont't have a big pantry don't be discouraged. The system sorks in my pantry and it is only small.

Annie x

Anonymous said...

Having your hubby, partner, kids or your friends comment on how things are working better due to a better system and organization feels great!
Once it's organised it only takes a few minutes every 2 weeks (or so) to give it a spruce up or a 'mini make-over'.

I call my pantry THE INFORMATION CENTRE. The IC (for short) is like the central nervous system of our household. Most things are done through the pantry (the kids school schedule, their bags, our family calendar, sunscreen, first aid kit, grocery chalkboard, necessary numbers, mail and the list goes on). Having this organised helps me function properly and use my time well.

This all sounds like a small thing but we all agree it's amazing how it changes the landscape of your home. Here's to being organised in 2007!
Susan
ps - I am a totally spontaneous person and for some reason i equated being organised to lack of spontaneity however surprisingly I have found that I am able to be much more spontaneous/fly by the seat of my pants when I'm organised.

Anonymous said...

Nikki,

I am so proud of you for letting the Family Room into your pantry. We all have those secret things hidding in there as it dosen't get made over to often.

Great Job, Pantry looks fantastic. Look after it.

Belinda

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics