Thursday, February 22, 2007

Day 3 – My Little Red Bicycle


Do you remember your first bike? Do you remember days spent riding up and down the street, riding to your friend’s house, riding with no hands (look mum no hands and no legs….whoops…..ouch!). The feeling of the breeze, that rushed through your hair and whipped your face as you whisked up and down and all around. Days spent decorating your bikes with (at times) old cigarette packages, balloons and racing stripes.

My favourite bike as a child was little red bike with a nice seat – I’m sure it was a hand me down from someone, which really didn’t matter at all, because that bike was beautiful. I’m sure most of you have a similar memory of a bike or perhaps another childhood treasure.

I wanted to share my bike story with you to take you back to 'days of old' and then to bring you to where I am right now…at my kitchen table, once again sweating and feeling absolutely fantastic following a 5k bike ride!!!!!

Today was a very busy day, we had our school swimming carnival, which meant Belinda and I were unable to fartlek (if you don't know what that is, read yesterday's post) after school drop off. Instead we were required to put on our cheerleader hats (thank heavens it was only the hats and not the entire uniform...hahaha) and sit, with our amazing hubby’s, poolside and cheer our little angels on as they used every bit of energy they had to make it down that 50 meter pool. It was a great day however we were both determined not to let the day go by without doing some form of exercise.

After dinner, clean up and organising the kids we decided to jump on our bikes and hit the pavement. Now that the ride is over and I am sitting here writing I must admit, as I said above, I feel fantastic and I’m so glad I went.

I have to say that riding a bike with purpose (as opposed to the pleasure ride) is a totally different experience especially at 37 and following the birth of 3 children. The excitement and joy I had when I was 8 just didn’t seem to find me. What did find me was a terrible burning sensation in my thighs and butt and I realised for the first time in years that my tailbone does exist - the seat felt nothing like my little red bike with the nice seat. In addition to everything I’m quite sure I swallowed a few BUGS…..which, funny enough did take me back to my childhood. I’m sure you can all relate!

After all is said and done we had a great ride and we will be out again (however our hubby’s are insisting we get lights which is probably a good thing since daylight savings is coming to an end). We are both feeling stronger, more alert and full of energy from simply making a choice to prioritise exercise in our life.

For those of you who have joined us well done. Keep going and share some of your stories with us, we can’t wait to hear from you.

Have the best day and remember to smile.

Susan xoxo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha oh my gosh you keep my laughing. Your honesty is infectious. I wish I could have seen the two of you winding your way through the streets. Well done. You've made me think that maybe I should get up and get moving. I'm really not getting much younger - wishful thinking never got anyone anywhere! KEEP GOING we're loving it.
Melinda

Anonymous said...

Melinda,
I'm glad you are enjoying our pain. It's so worth it. We will keep updating you. If you do see two women on bikes (wherever you are) give them an encouraging honk, you never know it could be Belinda and I.
Oh yeah I didn't include the part where I almost fell off and would have ended up under a carload of teenagers......not funny!
Go for it friend.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Well done Susan. This is great.
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I haven't skipped in years.....I'm going for it. Not sure that I'll skip, don't know if my pelvic floor muscle can take it. Might go for a walk.
Thanks girls. You sound like you are having so much fun.

Anonymous said...

This is great. My children just today said that they really wanted to go a good bike expidition with my husband and I. I think that this has now moved to the top of our family activity list.
Marie.

Anonymous said...

Marie,
All I can say is YOU WON'T REGRET IT. As my hubby was timing my skipping today I was talking about how you NEVER regret exercising however the energy it takes to step towards it is hard. Once you make that first, second, third and forth step towards it, there is NO looking back and you begin to love it.
Have fun.
Susan

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics