Monday, February 26, 2007

Welcome to MONDAY Day 4!


I’m calling this Day 4 because I took my ‘break’ over the weekend. Unfortunately Saturday and Sunday didn’t see much exercise - other than chasing the kids and walking the 1K IKEA parking lot. I’m blaming it on the rain (which we desperately need!).

Do you remember that song ‘I Don’t Like Monday’s'? Well today was my Monday. It was a soggy morning – one of those mornings where you are sticky from the moment you get out of the shower (sorry Northern Hemisphere readers, you guys are still cold...how i longed for the cold today). Anyway, Belinda and I faithfully met after school drop off to keep ourselves going however we both looked at each other and said, “I so don’t feel like this today.” Isn’t it funny how those are the days you most benefit from doing what you don’t want to do. I had just received a visit from a VERY regular monthly guest (come on girls you know who I’m talking about….) and we were both tired but hey we are determined and we weren't about to let ANYTHING (especially fatigue) take us off track so away we went.

We had a great walk!

Upon returning home I only had 1 hour before I needed to head out of the door again for an appointment. I asked my hubby if he thought I had time to skip, shower and be out of the house in an hour to which he replied, “Of course, come on I’ll set the timer – it’s 7 minutes today right?” I should have known that would have been his answer, I was secretly hoping for a no but he was right.

As I was skipping my little heart out I told him how grateful I was that I was back in the swing of exercising regularly and how you never regret exercising because you always feel great afterwards. The problem with exercise seems to lie in our heads and that painful journey towards the first steps. As I see it we need to mentally prepare ourselves for change and for continued patterns of change, which result in lasting change, which conquers bad habits turning them into good habits.

It’s all in our minds and once we renew our minds our bodies seem to (and will) follow very willingly. When it comes to exercise it’s almost like our bodies have been craving change but the change needs to start in our minds. I really hope that makes sense for everyone.

Friends today we walked because we didn’t feel like fartleking (my monthly guest was really playing up) but we walked further than normal and I skipped for 7 minutes rather than 6 or 6.5 minutes. It was hard today but in the midst of what seemed hard we pushed ourselves further and the end result was GREAT satisfaction, personal gain and strength and increased joy because both Belinda and I know that we can and we are moving ahead in this crucial area of our lives. Today was a CHOICE and we made a great one.

Before I sign off I want to tell you that I ran into three people today who have been inspired by our increased level of exercise and our funny stories about how it's all working out. I wonder who would be encouraged to make a difference in an area of your life if you chose to have a go!!!

We love you, totally believe in you and know that the world ALWAYS looks better through smiling eyes. Have the best day and remind those in your world how much they matter to YOU!

Susan xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You girls have inspired me. I've started going to my local exercise classes and I feel FANTASTIC. Keep going and please know that you are impacting more than you could ever imagine. We LOVE all that you are doing. Go the family room.
Elsa

Anonymous said...

Susan I haven't run into you but you are really pushing us (my partner and I) along. I really like this post - you are so right, it begins in the mind as everything does. Keep going and hello to Belinda.
Jeanette

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics