Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Importance of Eye Contact


I was recently at a service station near my home and was served by a woman who refused to make eye contact with me. For those of you who know me you know that I was trying EVERYTHING in my power to make her look at me for but a second. This woman was not about to connect with me (or anyone else in the store for that matter) she simply refused and conducted our business successfully but without the necessary human connection.

Before I left I thought I would see if it was only me she avoided so I casually walked around the shop all the while watching how she interacted with other customers. To my surprise she did the very same to them, not even a glance at a cooing baby!

I left the service station puzzled, trying to figure out why this woman was so determined not to make eye contact. Had she been hurt, was her morning turned up side down by some tragic news, was she ferociously insecure or had she never been taught the importance of EYE CONTACT?

I want to encourage you to USE YOUR EYES. Look people straight in the eye and give them your full attention. Teach your children to make eye contact with others. This is easily done simply by them seeing you make eye contact with them and others. Shift yourself so you are able to look your children or partner in the eyes, get at eye level with your child and hold their little face in your hands, position yourself with a friend so that they are in your line of vision and you aren’t distracted when talking with them. There is something spectacular about eye contact, it can warm the soul, can see truth, can tell a story without a word exchanged or in my daughter’s words the eyes can say, “I love you!”

Our eyes are powerful beyond what we know. As technology increases and our need to connect with the ‘outside world’ slowly diminishes eye contact may soon become a ‘lost art’. Use your eyes wisely and teach those in your world to connect with the world through their eyes.

Have the best day and as always, remember that the world looks better through smiling eyes…..:))

Susan xoxo

No comments:

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics