Thursday, May 31, 2007

Zero Tolerance


Hi everyone I hope you are all well.

This post is something that I put up when we first started the blog and recently I thought it important to 'repost' this article.

I am always interested in net lingo (internet language) and mobile/cell phone speech, as it seems to be a language all to itself. I heard Dr. Phil talking about this language which made me realize that, although I'm interested, my knowledge is very limited in this area - so I decided to do some research on my own. I soon discovered that what I knew was limited to: LOL (laugh out loud), ta-ta-4-N (ta ta for now) and 4Eva (forever), BF (boyfriend), BFF (best friend forever), SO (significant other) and that about covers it for me. My own limited knowledge has probably already astounded some of you. I'm sure there are those of you out there who know very little about this new language.

Dr. Phil started me thinking about this and I was again challenged when I read something recently that included POS which to my surprise means 'Parents over Shoulder'. After reading that I decided that this needed a little more attention and research on my part so I did what we all do now, I got online and I found myself absolutely shocked at the language that is out there.

Dr.Phil believes that we should have ZERO TOLERANCE policies in our homes when it comes to communication.... I have to say, "I totally agree." This 'net lingo/mobile or cell speak' ostracizes parents from children (whatever their age) and allows our children/teens/young adults to enter into an unsafe world away from our protection. We have no idea who they are communicating with and what they are communicating about.

I encourage you to keep your computers in an open area in your home, limit access
time and check your history file regularly. In addition find something like Net Nanny or other protective software programs that will keep your family safe. As much as our children want their privacy (whatever their age) on the computer it isn't wise. We must adopt Zero Tolerance attitudes in order to keep our homes safe from predators and the like.

I thought I would give you a little sample and see if you are able to translate - just a test to see how much we all know and how much we can understand. Try your skills and see how you go with this language:

Hey how RU? RU MorF? RU SorG? LMIRL. WYCM. AEAP. Got2 go P911. PIR.

Interpretation:

Hey how are you? Are you Male or Female? Are you Straight or Gay? Let's meet in real life. Will you call me. As early as possible. Got to go, parent alert. Parent's in room.

I’m sure most of you are shocked by what you’ve just read – so was I. I knew this language was out there but to the extent that it is I couldn’t believe. You could learn a totally new language through ‘net lingo/mobile speak’......it's very, very scary.

For more information and to educate yourself on this language visit www.netlingo.com. You’ll be surprised. Keep yourself informed and ahead of the game and do whatever you need to to keep your precious children safe.

I hope this has been helpful.

Susan xoxo

3 comments:

EMO_pastor said...

Hi (anyone who's reading...)
I've just checked this site out because I've listened to the Podcast (also good) available at fm1032.com.au and a recent program on a topic I'm needing resources on for my work.
I am a high school chaplain-youth worker, in a Boys' State High School. A mum I'm visiting and supporting, is at a loss as to how she limits her son's net traffic, in ways that do not rely on him 'giving his word' to not visit inappropriate sites. It's not working.

A very pleasant surprise to arrive looking, and find you've written on it, and given me a freebie link to follow! Thanks - it was meant to be.

Al H.

MY BLOG:
http://www.chaplainchaps.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey there thanks for the comment. We are so glad we've been able to help. It's such a HUGE thing to deal with and parents are finding themselves at a loss, we need to keep giving them tools and strategies to keep their home safe and healthy. All the best with your job, you are in a strategic position.
Also, feel free to let us know (from your perspective) things you or the parents of the kids would like to hear us talk and write about. We love getting feedback and input from the front lines.
Thanks Again.

Susan

EMO_pastor said...

It seems like this issue of HOW kids use PC's & the World Wide Web is 'cutting edge' stuff. I've had a parent conference this week with a worried (single) mum, who really wants some assistance in staying involved in her son's usage... But the eternal question for parents of Teens is: How DO I have a presence withhout the obtrusiveness which they don't want?

I didn't find any easy answers (of course!)- but could point her this advice from a US site (WFAA), which covers parental approach to their kids, and SOFTWARE solutions which are available to set limits/supervise how kids can freely use the PC WITHIN SAFE LIMITS. This is my preference for the teenage internet user: harm minimisation through loving supervision.

I've re-published that article on my blog: you can reach it through this link:

http://chaplainchaps.blogspot.com/2007/06/keeping-pcs-kid-friendly.htm

Al H.

To Subscibe & receive my posts to this blog ("Chaplains Chatting") just follow this link below:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/ChaplainsChatting.1.gif

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics