Sunday, August 05, 2007

Simple Things that make a Huge Difference


Hi friends,

As you know thefamilyroom is all about building, developing and strengthening relationships in our families and our community. With this in mind I offer my latest gem for you to read, enjoy and hopefully be inspired to step out or continue on.

Recently I’ve noticed, as I’m sure you have, that life is so busy. The days just seem to rush by at times without us even knowing it ~ I’m always amazed to find myself at the end of the week wondering where the days have gone. This rushing by has caused what I like to call ‘The impromptu’ to almost be a thing of the past.

It became obvious to me that the gold that comes from regular contact with friends was missing from our lives. Being me I made a decision not to be deterred by our busy schedules and I purposed to make a change. You see I believe that sharing a meal opens doors that would otherwise stay shut. I purposed to open doors.

Here is my story:

There are three couples in our world that are just like family to us. At least one Thursday (sometimes more) we gather at our place for a casual meal. I plan the menu and allocate who is bringing what via email. Menu wise we try to make it easy healthy and fun. My beloved kitchen table seats ten, this allows all of the adults to sit and enjoy dinner and a glass of wine and catch up on what’s happening in each others world. The children congregate in another room or outside and eat and play. We start at 6pm and finish at 8pm. This means it doesn’t end up a long late night, or disrupt routines ~ it’s that simple.

I can’t tell you what a blessing it has been to open our home to our friends and their families. Susan often talks about “it takes a village to raise a child”; this to me is part of belonging to and nourishing our village. I encourage you to take the plunge and try it; you and your family will be richer for it.

Annie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so important to cultivate this 'nothing's too hard' atitude when it comes to relatinships.
There are so many people who are lonely and desperate for someone to care and notice them and their beautiful kids.
I think making the effort to share meals or even a regular coffee and putting yourself out there is so important and makes life richer.....Jane

Anonymous said...

Totally agree Jane and Annie it's putting ourselves out there and for a moment it may pinch on our time however after the first invite everything gets easier from there. We have an open door policy (with our own family boundaries included) which leaves us free to entertain regularly. We wouldn't replace it for the world ~ we are a better family for doing so.
Wendy CANADA

Anonymous said...

Not only does doing what Annie is suggesting do something for others, it's amazing what it does for your own family.
We have teenage kids and we have regular 'family dinners' that include other families and our teenagers are required to be there. Everyone has a ball. I'm really tired of people making excuses for their kids whatever age, we have lost the art of 'getting together' and simply enjoying the company of others without a piece of technology to link us up.
I'm all for what you've written Annie and for what The Family Room stands for, finally a voice for us who are strying to make it work the right way.
Better quit now before I end up with hate mail on your blog I wouldn't want that.
Barbara USA

ps I like how some people are starting to put where they are from.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Annie.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what Jane said. Being someone who had children in a country with no family support I craved community. Now that my children are grown (and when they were young) I made it part of our family plan to include others. I have found it very rewarding to help others learn the ropes of family life, we seem to think this comes easily however it doesn't to most. A great opportunity to open doors in so many ways.
I really enjoy the topics you guys cover. Keep going.
Cybil from London

Anonymous said...

I am so encouraged to do this simple but effective thing each week. Life is to busy and I am going to start by having dinner each week with my folks who live only 10 minutes away, I really think it builds traditions that our children need to see.
Cheers
Belinda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments. It is encouraging to hear you are all into it. Keep going friends, you are making a huge difference in your world!

Annie xx

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics