Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Spring is in the Air!!! (In the Southern Hemisphere that is however good reading for our Northern friends as well :)


Having suffered with sever sinus issues and hay fever most of my adult life, as much as I love spring, I would dread it every year. To wake every morning and know that within an hour or so knowing that sinus pain, watery eyes or an epic sneezing match would visit for the day, was unbearable…for me and my friends. Dates were equally fun with me sitting at the table face dripping, eyes puffed up and me with a tissue at the ready, smiling as if nothing was wrong. I looked like I had Bells Palsy half of the time. Attractive! Vocations such as floristry or anything to do with animals was also completely out of the question. Not that I would have chosen to be a zookeeper, but hey, the option would have been nice.

To those who have suffered for years or have children that suffer know exactly what I am talking about. There is nothing worse than having an attack and finding yourself without an industrial size box of Kleenex in your handbag. That or a paper bag to put over your head. When a full blown ‘session’ of hay fever hits, even sunlight can hurt your eyes, so ridiculously oversized sunglasses are essential. (Hmm…I wonder if Jackie O was sufferer too.)

So, yes, this was my life. Not much fun and rather debilitating. That was until I made the decision to get help. Something that busy mum’s often place at the bottom of their daily lists. We have a tendency to truly believe that whatever we suffer with isn’t as serious as being on time for soccer practise or heaven forbid getting the ironing done before school pick up! And I am only talking about hay fever. Some women let serious health conditions cripple their lives on many levels for years before even talking about it.

Visiting a local doctor a few months ago changed my life. After confessing to him of my apparent addiction to antihistamines and undocumented shares in Kleenex, he offered alternatives to choose from. I chose a simple safe nasal spray and within 2 weeks I was cured. Simple. Life changing. Since seeing a doctor I have not once taken an antihistamine and I have saved a fortune on tissues. If only I had done this years ago…(I can almost see you all nodding.)

So this spring I can honestly get excited about all those alfresco dinner parties that I am going to be invited to…hint, hint. But seriously, if you suffer physically from anything that is a constant source of worry or pain, GO SEE A DOCTOR, or an alternative practitioner if that’s your preference. Decide to put your health first, get peace of mind and watch your life change for the better.

Michaela.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that...I love what Robin McGraw says. You're allowing fear, or putting other people first all the time, to rob you of your health and even robbing your family of time with you if you become very ill, or develop something serious that could have been prevented.
Thank goodness for nasal sprays MG!!

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics