Monday, February 25, 2008

The Five Love Languages of Children - Book Review


I am currently in the grip of reading ‘The Five Love Languages of Children’ by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell, which is fantastic it's almost like I'm having a personal revelation regarding my children!

In the book, they talk about kids needing Quality time, Words of affirmation, Gifts, Acts of Service and Physical touch. Each child obviously needs all of these but will respond to one or two more than others. I’m not going to say much about the book because I truly believe that every parent should read, it's a MUST read really. All I will say is that I love the idea that we are able to find what melts our kids hearts best and approach them from that angle. We are we are seeing amazing results.

I know with my kids, time to laugh and play and talk is so important. Also something simple like making their beds (they usually have to do it themselves), cleaning their rooms and leaving a little 'something special' like a flower in my daughters room or a treat for my son causes them to respond beautifully ~ Acts of Service speaks volumes to their little hearts, minds and souls. Another thing I do occasionally is pop notes in their lunch boxes or bags and leave goofy letters in lipstick on the bathroom mirror just for fun. Simple things!!!

Recently, due to work and other influences my life is becoming increasingly busy and I am finding it a real challenge to pull everything together. Through this book I have been inspired to get back to what’s important and give my kids time and time that is focussed on making them blossom and flourish.

The other day we were riding our bikes and my daughter asked (actually yelled at) her brother to go on ahead which he eventually did. She and I then chatted about school and this and that, then she came out with some great questions that were really private in her little world and I’m so glad I had ears to listen and was available for her at that moment ~ Quality Time.

These little lives are entrusted to us and I want to be the best I can be despite the excuses and all the reasons why it’s too hard.….. I can't encourage you enough to buy or borrow this book, it’s a winner!

3 comments:

catherine jayne said...

Author (you didn't leave your name at the end of the post :) )

I work with children a lot and have found this book to be huge in the day to day dealings with kids.
Also, it's great to try and learn the Love Languages of your spouse and other family members. It's incredible the response you receive from those close to you when you show them love in a way they understand.

~cj

Anonymous said...

HI CJ!

It was me, sorry! I have heard so much about these love languages but have never actually read the books, so good...

You must be getting married very soon??!!

Lv Jane

catherine jayne said...

Hey Jane,

I am getting very close...only 18 sleeps...a little over 2 weeks. i can hardly wait!

~cj
xoxox

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics