Friday, February 08, 2008

Parenting......the joys of!

Ah the joys of parenting ~ there truly never is a dull moment!

It all seems to start with the unbelievable nappies/diapers, cracked nipples, hormone surges that make you feel 100% insane one moment and on top of the world the next plus the added bonus of left over baby fat that jiggles on your tummy like rising bread dough (that’s one of my favourites). Then of course you move into the biting stage and the screaming in the supermarket followed by the homework in grade 1 (what the heck is that about) science projects in grade 5, the school dance in grade 6 & 7 and then it all begins again in High School with acne issues, hormones again, the sleeping in and everything else that goes along with the teenage years.

Ah the joys of parenting…… I wouldn’t want another job!

Today I thought I would share a special parenting moment with you. My birthday is quickly approaching and I love birthdays. I love celebrating, I love that I have another year under my belt and I love that I feel great and I think I’m looking pretty okay as well ☺!!!! Anyway, my two year old (soon to be three) jumps into bed this morning telling me how much she loves me and how happy she is that I’m her mummy. She cuddles me with all her might, lays a very sloppy morning kiss right on my lips, squeezes me again and with this squeeze tells me, “mummy, you look old”! She kisses me again, jumps over to her dad to tell him how much she loves him then bounces out of bed on a mission to wake the rest of the sleeping family.

Ah the joys of parenting…….. I’ve heard it said that if you want the truth about something ask your children especially your teenagers. With that thought in mind I’ve been telling myself all day that to her looking old has to be a good thing.

I sign off smiling to myself recognising that to my darling daughter I must look very old and in her little mind and heart that’s a good thing.

Have the best day and share some of your parenting moments with us.

Susan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on Susan!

Whichever season we find ourselves in it is so important to embrace it and love the moment.

Annie

Anonymous said...

That's a great story - and, as you say, in the eyes of a child old means wise and knowledgable and safe and available for cuddles. Definitley a godd thing.

Deborah

catherine jayne said...

Susan,
What a wonderfully story. As someone in my early twenties, I look at the laugh lines on my grandma, her hands that have knit and quilted and sewn and baked and cooked and mended SO much over the years and I think it's incredibly beautiful, admirable and attractive...and I can't wait to get there.
The thing is, that it's the moments that I (and you!) face everyday that get us there.

Here's to savoring every moment!

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics