Friday, February 15, 2008

Simple Pleasures


Beads are beautiful.

I love their shapes and sizes, their textures and colours. I love the way they shimmer in the light and turn drabness into drama wherever they are used.

Best of all, I love that creative minds of all ages can transform a disjointed jumble of gems into a wearable work of art in a few moments.

So it was with great delight, I recently heard that a friend had begun beading for charity. Within a few short weeks she had progressed from stringing basic bangles to creating stunning necklaces in eye-catching colours which I know for a fact found their way under many Christmas trees in our village.

When she invited me to join her for a morning, I jumped at the chance, and as we carefully threaded gorgeous glass balls onto long strands of flexible wire, she shared with me her best, and most unexpected, beading discovery.

She revealed that her peaceful pastime had captured the interest of her pre-teen daughter, who had come alongside to join in her charitable pursuit.

As the two crafted necklaces, bangles and earrings, they enjoyed hours of warm conversation covering topics they might otherwise have avoided. A new bond was formed between mother and daughter.

It only takes a few simple tools and techniques to start beading and most of these can be found in any book or magazine on the subject, but as those of us who’ve tried it can testify, it’s a simple pleasure that promises rich rewards.

Have a go!
Deborah

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deborah,
I LOVE this blog. I have to agree, it's amazing how a little quality time coupled with something of interest can bring mother and child together. We need to find these things and cultivate them.
I have a relative who, over the years, has grated everyone the wrong way and never really 'clicked' with anyone in the family. Sadly, due to her actions and our reactions she wasn't really involved in much (terrible I know but everyone has someone like this or a similar situation in their families). Anyway it wasn't until my mum decided to 'connect' with this relative and found out that she was extremely interested in sewing, not only sewing but a specific machine used for sewing. Being a bit of a seamstress herself, my mother was able to 'go there' with this relative and finally saw beneath the shyness, the seemingly uninterested soul and found a great person desperate to be pulled into the mix.
Like this situation with our relative the exact same can happen with our children ~ distance slips in, communication slows down and before long we don't know where our little baby has gone. Find that common ground and cultivate it.
Thanks Deborah.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Another reason to switch off the TV, get the essentials out of the way and make space for family. For me it conjours up images from a Jane Austin novel, busy hands, secrets shared,and skills that will never go astray!
Thanks Deborah.

Annie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments girls. I know what you mean about Jane Austen - I was thinking that too. It sounds a bit like the women who would get together in those days to paint or sew. Sometimes, I feel like being radical and locking the TV away in the cupboard for a month to see how much it would change our lives. I just haven't quite had the courage to do it!

Deborah

Anonymous said...

What was that movie with Winona Ryder where they used to quilt?
I loved the Jane Austin Book Club movie. I love the idea of seeing the same group of women regularaly and sorting through life together....Jane

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics