Friday, March 07, 2008

Lonely World - Part Two

After receiving so many emails from people about the last article 'Lonely World' I decided I needed to do a part two. Can I say that I would love it if you would convert your emails into comments on the blog itself. Although I do enjoy the emails I can tell you that many people would be encouraged and challenged by the comments you make to me personally.

I received and overwhelming response to the article and found that most people are willing to step out a little further and try and reach people. The challenge seems to be time and confidence. So, with this in mind I am going to try and give you a few tips on how to overcome these two challenges.

Time:
This is something thefamilyroom girls discuss regularly and it is something that most people grapple with. How do you find TIME to do what you need to do? In our busy schedules how do you carve out space for yourself, let alone space for someone else? Well friends, to have time you have to make time. I strongly suggest (as I have before) journal what your week looks like. Do it like you would a food diary (we've all had one of those at one time or another) if you will. Write everything down for an entire week. At the end of a week look at what you've accomplished and how much time you spent doing everything. Then, at the beginning of the following week set some goals, things that need to happen and again journal your week. At then end of that week, sit down and access.

In doing this simple exercise I'm confident you, like myself, will find time. You will realise that there are somethings you are doing that you don't need to, some you are taking to much time doing them, etc., etc., etc. Before you know it you will have found time to do something different and you will be using your time much more effectively.

This is a great exercise to do not only for yourself but for your family as a whole. You can also use it to help those friends whom you know are struggling with time.

Confidence:
This one is simple. Put one foot in front of the other and just make it happen. Do it with fear and trembling if you need to, just do it.
If you're inviting someone over for dinner cook something you know really well. You really don't need to turn into Martha Stewart overnight!!! People just want to be included, they aren't looking for a 5-star performance or a performance at all, they are simply looking for a sense of belonging and significance.
So, keep it simple. We've had some of our best parties or get together(s) simply by scouring the pantry and kitchen and pulling a meal together.
The main ingredients you will need: an open door, laughter and an interest in someone else.

You may be reading this saying, "this is easy for you, you're not me I don't know how to do this." To that I will remind you that I too had to start somewhere and put one foot in front of the other. You can do this and it's amazing how the simplest of things can make the biggest difference. Dare to be different and make a difference in someone else's life.

Susan J. Sohn

ps - remember if you need food ideas check out our archives for great, simple, familyroom tried and true recipes.
xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- what a challenge- thanks for the encouragement on how to better use our time!!!
My neighbourhood will sure benefir from this..
Sue

thefamilyroom said...

Sue,

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad your neighbourhood will be better for you reading this. Keep us posted on anything new that happens.
Also, thanks for being brave and commenting, we appreciate it.
Susan & Crew

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics