Friday, January 16, 2009

The Taste of Health


Last night after dinner I found myself thinking about the day ahead and one more packed school lunch. Those of you who read the blog regularly know that I am passionate about feeding our children well, even when it’s a bagged lunch (see School Lunches in the Archives).

I pulled out my recipe book and flipped through the pages until I landed on an old favourite. The recipe I’m referring to is ‘Six Week Refrigerator Bran Muffins’. You must understand I am someone who really knows the need for fibre in our system, not only what we get through our everyday meals but an extra dose. According to Dr. Oz (most of you are familiar with him) there are three things we are all lacking. Those three things are: Fibre, Water, and Vitamin D. We all need to adopt the thinking fibre is our friend and not only when we hit 40+ it must be our children’s friend.

I realise bran muffins may not sound that exciting but this recipe (albeit slightly adapted by me) is absolutely yum and full of goodness for the family. Give it a go and let me know what you think.

Six-Week Refrigerator Bran Muffins
Preheat Oven: 400
Cooking Time: 18-20 mins
Pan Size: Muffin Tins
Yields: 5-6 dozen

Ingredients:
2 Cups Boiling Water
2 Cups Natural Bran
1 Cup unsweetened applesauce - the recipe actually calls for 1 cup of shortening however I changed this to 1 cup unsweetened applesauce making the recipe much healthier and tastier.
2 ½ Cups White Sugar – I’m going to pull this back to 1 ¾ and I may even change to using splenda
4 Beaten Eggs
4 Cups Low Fat Milk (calls for buttermilk but I choose low fat or skim)
5 Cups Flour (I use whole wheat flour but you can use white)
3 Tbsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Salt
4 Cups Bran Cereal (no sugar added)
1 Cup Raisins

Method:
Pour boiling water over bran and let stand.
Mix applesauce (or shortening), sugar and eggs.
Add milk to mixture.
Add the bran and water mixture.
Sift the flour, salt and soda into the mixture and mix in.
Fold in bran flakes and raisins until bran flakes are just moist.
Chill 12 hours in fridge before baking
Batter will keep up to 6 weeks in refrigerator.
Bake in greased muffin tins, a dozen at a time or all at once.

Notes:
Because I used the applesauce the recipe won’t last as long in the refrigerator. I baked a dozen this morning and will bake the rest this afternoon or tomorrow and freeze them. I use three tin types - tiny muffins, medium size and the oversized large muffins. I do this so I have bite size for my little one, which is a great ‘grab and go’ snacks for the older ones. The medium serves well in lunches accompanying a sandwich, fruit, veggies and a piece of cheese. The oversized can replace a sandwich and can serve for a quick lunch for myself when I’m on the run.

Also, next time I will add flax or perhaps wheat germ or something else that is good for our systems.

Enjoy friends.
Susan J Sohn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay i''m going to try these. they sound really good and easy.
thanks.
trudy

Anonymous said...

Susan,
I love the way you can make even bran muffins sound interesting. Not sure how you do it but you've inspired me to make them.
Happy to have Fibre as my Friend.
Annette

Anonymous said...

I am off to my kitchen first thing this morning. You have inspired me. We love muffins. I think, because I still have carrots left from the garden last summer, I will boil some shredded ones up and add them. Carrots are good for us.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

cafes doubt exceeds circulate nasaa relax tianzhong roberts thin sydneys stops
lolikneri havaqatsu

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics