Thursday, February 19, 2009

De-cluttering your life

We are currently in the process of building a house, which is ridiculously exciting and leaves me feeling very grateful. The actual building will begin in the next few weeks and so we have chosen to halve our rent and move into a two-bedroom apartment for the duration.

Our kids will have to share a room and we will put some stuff in storage, but it will be fun to walk to the shops and cafes and the gym and have everything at our fingertips. Plus the money we will save will allow us to do some of the things to our new house that aren't included in our package. We're just choosing to be clever in these uncertain economic times.

One of the great aspects of this process has been de-cluttering. I know there's a guy who appears on the Oprah show who goes into people's homes and helps them wade through the clutter. He looks at the emotional benefits, as well as the physical. I'm with him, I tell you!! We cleaned out our garage last weekend and sent two car loads (!!) of stuff to the charity shop. The rest went to the top of the street for a council clean-up. I was mortified by what I saw in those bags and bags and piles of stuff!!! I hope to never accumulate so much again, it was embarrassing!!

It now feels great to walk into the tidy garage and when we move, it will be with only the stuff we actually use and need. I feel so much freer but also glad that I can pass on some of my stuff, that is still in good condition, to others. As I work from home, I also feel like the de-cluttering process has made me more productive. It's all psychological I'm sure, but hey it works!

I wholeheartedly recommend putting on your trackies, getting out the massive garbage bags and getting into your junk! You'll feel 5kgs lighter!!

Jane

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting rid of unused things is so freeing! When we moved overseas we got rid of 90% of our things and kept only the things that we truly could not part with! It was an amazing process as it makes you realize what you truly need and what you won't miss at all. My goal is not to ever accumulate stuff that we don't regularly use and would otherwise sit in boxes. The reality is that other people may be able to use the things we store if we pass them along.
Thanks for the great article!
Tanya

Anonymous said...

Great advice Jane! It's so liberating to free yourself of the junk in your life!

Anonymous said...

Wow Jane, well done. It is so good to have a regular clean out, not just to help others with your unwanted stuff but for the kids to learn to pass on their stuff also.
I have cleaned out so many times due to moving so much and still get great satisfaction out of it.
Bea

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics