Monday, March 16, 2009

Head for the hills

When my husband suggested we enrol our kids into a 10-week ski program this winter, my initial reaction was one of doubt.

We barely had any family time as it was. Joining the course would mean dedicating two full days every weekend throughout January, February and a bit of March to skiing – something I wasn’t big on to start with. It would be in addition to gymnastics and karate, and would cut into, I thought, our already minimal family time.

However, we live only 10 minutes from the hills and I would rather have my children learn how to ski safely than worry about them when we go there. So I agreed.

I knew my son would be fine. He always is. He is the kind of kid who will try any new food, makes friends easily and dives into new activities with full enthusiasm. And I was right. He was fine as usual.

But I wondered about my four-year-old daughter. Being the second and youngest child, she has always been a bit of a momma’s girl and a definite “leg-clinger”, if you know what I mean. I imagined hectic mornings, talking her into getting ready, perhaps even resorting to bribery. I envisioned cold feet with lots of whining.

My assumptions were wrong.

First of all, instead of losing family time, we actually gained (and improved) it! With the kids in lessons in the mornings, my husband and I could spend time together. And even better, it was outdoors in the fresh air being active, something we used to do before we were married. And through the ski club, we have made a ton of wonderful new friends. The same people go every weekend and we all have similar interests with kids the same age. As newcomers to the area, this is one of the best things we have done.

My daughter, Tanyss, has turned out to be a true ski bunny. She wakes up each morning with: “Is it a ski day?” And if the answer is yes, she brings her elbow down to her waist with an emphatic “Yessss!” Unlike school days, she is dressed and has gathered her ski gear together before I can say a word.

And when her lessons are done for the day, she will usually insist on continuing to ski until the lifts have stopped running.

It is such a joy to see Tanyss on the slopes. Her ski skills are good, but more than that, a self-confidence has emerged which I have never seen in her before.

It all goes to show that sometimes we need to push our motherly doubts aside and let our children grow as they will.
Rebecca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this story Rebecca.

I love the description of how your daughter has blossomed through this experience. It's amazing to think that one small decision can have such a huge impact.

Deborah

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics