Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Wind in My Hair

Yesterday afternoon I found myself with time on my own (a rare thing for a mum of three). I had no one calling my name, no books to be found, no keys to look for, no drink to get, no bum to wipe....... it was bliss!

My thoughts were drawn to curling up on the couch with a good book and a warm cup of Earl Grey, or continuing my work on thefamilyroom and my social media endeavors. Neither really captivated my thoughts on how to spend this precious time. Lurking in the back of my mind, however was the continual reminder of my determination to keep my body strong. As pondered this I decided to capture the moment and spend it on my physical self.

Before the motivation drifted I quickly changed into my exercise gear, laced up my shoes and headed for the garage. I pulled my bike out of the stand, jumped on and was on my way. I quickly realised one thing..... I had forgotten my helmet and in this day and age we are all required or it is strongly suggested that we wear a helmet ~ something that I find a little frustrating, especially on a good hair day! However in saying that, in an effort to teach my children I put the sucker on every ride.

Keep in mind, for this ride I was ALL ALONE. So friends, I threw caution to the wind and away I went without a helmet!!! I rode and rode and rode. Wind in my hair, twisting, turning and rolling along. I felt like a child again. I could even be seen riding with no hands and in my head I was calling out, 'LOOK MUM, NO HANDS!'

My ride was so much fun and I had a smile from ear to ear. My bum was aching from the seat, my legs were burning and I could feel sweat dripping down my back. I had truly exerted myself physically and that combined with the wind through my hair I was fully and completely satisfied.

I returned home to a big glass of water, changed back into my jeans, grabbed an apple from the fridge and headed off to pick my children up from school.

A good decision indeed. I encourage everyone, everywhere to dust off your wheels and go for a ride. There truly is nothing like the wind in your hair and the sun on your face.

Susan J Sohn

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I was riding my bike with you in my thoughts, it was wonderful.
Fantastic writing.
Bea

Charmaine said...

Oh, the simplicity of it all! Yes, it's always found in the little things isn't it?

I must agree with bea, i was there with you also.

I look forward to more!

Charmaine

Anonymous said...

Yes, I need to dust my wheels off too! You have inspired me to get back on it.
Great story Susan.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Wow...all alone...I don't think I'd know what to do with the silence. Probably tweet about it :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Susan. You put a smile on my face.

Annie

Noelle said...

Susan,
Thats exactly how I felt...free..until the leg burn set in reminding me I am no longer twelve anymore. I will persevere and do it again, though!

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics